|Hong Kong Academic and Research Network (HARNET) was established in 1987 with the aim of linking up the academic and research communities in Hong Kong. After fifteen years of operations, it has been running smoothly and successfully. We propose here to build a research network, HARNET-2, for information technology researchers to carry out their research and to increase collaboration among the research universities in Hong Kong.
Mission of the Project HARNET-2(stands for "Hardened HARNET")
- Establish an Internet-like network infrastructure linking up the AoE-IT Universities which consist of Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology and The University of Hong Kong.
- Build an Internet infrastructure consisting of a network of routers, called Intrusion Detection Routers (IDRs), which are equipped with security measures that can detect various intrusion attacks.
- Act as a research network platform to support testing of various large scale Internet applications that is difficult to perform in a lab environment, e.g. video delivery on Internet.
- Development of the IDR software based on local technology
- Development of the IDR hardware based on local technology
- Setting up a large-scale, realistic and yet controlled testing environment for intrusion attacks over the Internet . Potentially this environment can be open to all researchers over the world to use.
- Setting up a kind of 'hardened Internet' that is able to protect Web (and e-commerce) activities better than the existing Internet. It is expected that through working on router software, more network monitoring and protection schemes can be designed.